Welcome to the Bureau of Household Goods and Services (BHGS)
formerly the Bureau of Electronic and Appliance Repair, Home Furnishings, and Thermal Insulation (BEARHFTI)
At the Bureau, we strive to protect consumers, work with and educate businesses so we can be mutually successful in today's challenging marketplace.
The Bureau is comprised of a group of skilled individuals, many coming from the industry itself, who conduct inspections, process licenses and enforce compliance with the law. Our dedicated team has an open communication with the public and the industry, welcoming feedback, suggestions, and innovative ideas to continually improve our services.
The Bureau holds jurisdictional authority over the following industries:
- Household Movers
- Appliance Service Dealers
- Furniture and Bedding Wholesalers
- Furniture and Bedding Retailers
- Bedding Sanitizers
- Thermal Insulation Manufacturers
- Service Contract Administrators
- Electronic Service Dealers
- Furniture and Bedding Manufacturers
- Furniture and Bedding Importers
- Custom Upholsterers
- Supply Dealers
- Service Contract Sellers
- Service Contract Obligors
For more information relating to CONSUMERS and how we can assist you please click HERE
For INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS looking for assistance, please click HERE.
Please let us know how we can better serve you. We are here to help.
- OCT 2023: Upcoming Advisory Council Meeting Materials
- OCT 2023: Upcoming Advisory Council Meeting Agenda
- JUL 2023: Revised Directory of Certified Insulation Material PDF and Excel, effective July 2023
- JUN 2023: Household Movers Initial Application - Online
- JAN 2023: Upcoming Advisory Council Meeting Materials
- JAN 2023: Upcoming Advisory Council Meeting Agenda
- DEC 2022: Max Rate Tariff, effective January 1, 2023
- Sunset Review Report 2022
- DEC 2022: HHM Permit Regulations Workshop – December 8,2022
- Industry Advisory 22-01: AB 2956 Clarifies Household Movers are Exempt from Motor Carrier of Property Permit Requirements
- The Bureau’s Strategic Plan